First drive: 2012 Nissan Patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 16:12
ThreadID: 82256 Views:9250 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
May not be what some would like to hear but here it is in any case:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/341FBECE7936826ACA2577CF00163CBF

A short drive of Nissan’s crucial new 2012 Patrol leaves a lasting impression

2 November 2010

By PHILIP LORD

NISSAN provided a brief sample of its forthcoming new-generation Patrol SUV to Australian journalists this week at the Mount Cotton Driver Training facility in Queensland.

Although not due for release here until 2012, Nissan Australia had shipped in a left-hand drive Middle Eastern-specification version of the big new 4WD wagon for last month’s Australian International Motor Show, and the company will now keep the vehicle for local accessory development by suppliers such as ARB.

From launch, the P61G will be sold only with Nissan’s thumping new 298kW/550Nm direct-injection 5.6-litre petrol V8 when it finally reaches Australian showrooms – two years after being revealed in the Middle East in February this year.

But the opportunity to sample the new model, albeit in a brief introductory drive, provided plenty of clues on what to expect when it returns here in right-hand drive guise and final Australian trim.

Drive impressions:

Nissan2012 Patrol center imageWith just under 4km of driving provided on a private road circuit used for police and ambulance driver training, our first drive in the new P61G Patrol gave us barely enough time to get comfortable in the driver’s seat.

While there are only so many things you can say about a vehicle given the circumstances – and let’s face it, it was an excellent opportunity for Nissan to provide a local perspective on its all-important new SUV – a few impressions did crystallise.

Firstly, Nissan’s intention to move the new Patrol upwards does not just refer to the nameplate’s newfound upmarket position. It is a large SUV by any measure. It makes the old GU Patrol (which will continue alongside the new P61G Patrol) look trim.

From a rear-seat perspective, for example, the centre-console compartment looked big enough to house a pet poodle. There was plenty of head, shoulder and knee room up front but in the driver’s seat it felt like you were positioned a little too close to the A-pillar.

While we didn’t get a chance to sample the third row, the second row seat was just massive. There is just so much space back there.

The Patrol’s large innards are no illusion trick: it is massive on the outside, too. While the off-road course was tight and technical in the big Patrol – side mirrors needed to be folded, and a few back-and-fills were needed – the ride in the back was not as supple as might be expected of the new hydraulic damper independent suspension.

As far as first impressions go, this new Patrol is so removed from the GU that it really doesn’t bear comparison. Many top-shelf SUVs feel like little more than labourers dressed in expensive suits – under all that leather and fake woodgrain you can’t hide the more rudimentary nature of the beast.

The P61G Patrol feels upmarket in the way a Discovery 4 HSE or Range Rover does. There is no sense of vinyl ever being intended for the space where the fine cut-pile has been laid.

So this feels like a luxury SUV immediately when seated in the back and is likely to be priced accordingly.

Nissan Australia CEO Dan Thompson said that while no final decision has been made, two trim levels are on the cards for P61G Patrol, with the premium model likely to exceed $100,000.

No decision has been made on trim grade appellation; Mr Thompson said he was still undecided on whether the new Patrol will maintain naming conventions such as Ti and Ti-L.

Behind the wheel, there is so much to take in – the ergonomics might be okay given some more wheel time, but in the short stint we had it was hard to make complete sense of all the buttons and graphic displays of this fully-loaded P61G Patrol.

Yet a few items stood out for being clear and clever: the centre camera display, which gives an accurate depiction of what is occurring at the back and at each corner of the vehicle; and the central transfer case control wheel and off-road aids encased within the same cluster.

The 5.6-litre V8 engine was smooth and quiet, and hooked up well to the seven-speed automatic transmission.

Although the transmission could take a moment to answer the call for kick-down, once it did, the glorious bellow of the silken V8 could – just – be heard deep down somewhere in the basement, and the surge forward gave the same sense of wonder as seeing your first ever Jumbo rolling down a runway at V-max.

How could something so big and ponderous possibly fly?

No the Patrol didn’t feel fast as such, but it is responsive and as a point-to-point tourer, it would reel in the white lines with ease.

The steering responded more quickly than you’d imagine and allowed a surprising amount of precision when making adjustments though a corner, even though steering feel was in this case an oxymoron.

The way the hydraulically controlled dampers reduced lean through corners was impressive, although the tyres couldn’t keep the big truck glued to the road quite the way those on a BMW X5 could.

What was apparent from this taste test on local roads – albeit synthetically created roads – is that Nissan must have only glanced briefly over its shoulder at LandCruiser 200 when developing this vehicle.

Given the refined nature of this big beast, their eyes must’ve been firmly fixed on Range Rover.

We’ll have to wait and see if this represents the first credible threat to the elegant and refined British SUV (in more than build quality, at least), but in the meantime the extremely competent – if rather corpulent – P61G Patrol has clearly become the sophisticate it never has been before.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 16:22

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 16:22
Here's a slightly more informative reivew (Nissan must have given all the journos a drive day recently):

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/51023/2012-nissan-patrol-p61g-y62-australia-review
AnswerID: 434865

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 16:23

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 16:23
Grr link didnt work

Drive report
FollowupID: 705954

Reply By: chisel - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 17:04

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 17:04
Are Australians really going to choose one of these over a 200 series Saraha or a Range Rover? (Not that many Range Rovers are sold here anyway)
AnswerID: 434872

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 17:16

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 17:16
No thanks. They have gone down the Toyota path which is a shame. Too expensive and independant suspension and all the luxuries which are runied on the first trip away if you use what the car is intended for.

I'll stick with my GQ and keep that going till I die of old age.
AnswerID: 434873

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 18:57

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 18:57
Here Here Gossy!!

We feel EXACTLY the same about our GQ!!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705975

Follow Up By: Wilko - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 19:08

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 19:08
Tis why I like my Rodeo,

Its as simple as Simon,

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 705976

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 19:35

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 19:35
Bloody hell. Looks like they borrowed Toyota's ugly stick ;-(
That looks AWFUL!
AnswerID: 434899

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 19:35

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 19:35
Just what everyone has been waiting for since 2005, a fat, thirsty petrol guzzler with no option other than an auto box. Full of fiddly bits that no one uses and useless for its intended use. $100,000 for that!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 434900

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 21:41

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 21:41
A 7 speed auto at that, sounds nice and expensive if it sh-ts itself out in the middle of the boonies because of heat stress or similar.
FollowupID: 706005

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 22:30

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 22:30
New Large 4x4's are out of the range of the ordinary people now. Not only the purchase cost but the huge cost if something goes wrong, and i dont think it would have to be a big as a 7speed auto failure.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 706011

Reply By: Member - Julie B (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 20:38

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 20:38
Anyone know what they are going to do with the cab chassis?
AnswerID: 434907

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 21:40

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2010 at 21:40
Keep retailing them alongside the new one for a time, from what I can gather.
FollowupID: 706004

Reply By: chevypower - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 05:09

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 05:09
Why would 7 gears make it less reliable? Oh I forgot, on a Toyota, you can fix it just by ripping a few leaves and some bark off the nearest gum tree. Use the sap for your engine oil and biodiesel and Bob's your uncle! :)
AnswerID: 434934

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 08:40

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 08:40
and why buy this with the intention of crossing the simpson desert, Flinders, Canning, Cape York etc. You'll average 30 litres per 100km or get it converted to gas and lose all your storage space.

these idiots should consult 4wd'ers before making these vehicles or at least leave the base model alone like what Toyota have done with the 78 series.

In a perfect world the industry would make a larger Xtrail or Rav4 for the Toorak drivers and leave the real 4wd's alone.

looks the the GQ, 80 series and 78 series are the end of an era. Good news for the aftermarket industry for all of us keen 4wders to keep these old cars running.
AnswerID: 434948

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 10:27

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 10:27
umm I think they HAVE left the base model alone havent they?
Didnt it say they were going to continue the GU alongside?
FollowupID: 706043

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 17:24

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2010 at 17:24
Gossy!!
I wonder what the percentage of GU's are still on the road since they started life in 1999?? I think it would be very high,,so they will be around for a long time to come ., Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 706082

Sponsored Links